A statistical look at the Lions, Tigers, Pistons, Red Wings, Spartans and Wolverines

Monday, June 15, 2009

Khan updates us on various Wings items...

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2009/06/red_wings_tomas_holmstrom_addr.html

Eventually, I am going to figure out how to post a real link. haha.

My thoughts on the article:
-Basically, just fluff on Homer. I had speculated that he might retire. Clearly if no surgery is required for him this off-season and he only needs rest, then he will be donning #96 for the Wings next season. At this point in his career, I really only consider him a 3rd/4th line forward who can only be counted on for spot minutes at even strength while still playing heavy minutes on the PP. At this point in his career, he is overpaid at $2.25 million, but he was underpaid for a few years so it is really not that bad of a contract.

-Conklin stating he wants to return is interesting. I could see a situation like we saw with the D-men last year where Holland re-signs Conklin and lets he and Howard battle it out for the backup position at training camp (like we did last year in the Meech vs. Quincey Vs. Chelios battle). This would create an interesting dilemma for Holland. Keep a sure thing in Conklin who is one of the best backups in the game while letting your once prized prospect walk away? Or, do you trade Conklin to a team that needs a goalie (and I can think of several who will) for one of their mid-level prospects/ draft picks, and let Howard take the backup spot. Very, very tough call. I'll have more thoughts on this if/when Conklin re-signs.

-The news on Leino and Abdelkader was pretty much what we all expected to hear.

-I'll probably have a post up later tonight previewing the upcoming St. Louis Cardinal series. And, before the end of the week, I should have a post previewing the NBA draft, the Pistons off-season, and looking back at the Red Wings prospects seasons with an eye toward next year's Grand Rapids Griffins team. I also will take a look at the Tigers recent draft within the next week or two as I gather some more scouting reports on the players.

No comments: